St. Joseph Medical Center
RN IV Wound Ctr PDM (Variable Shifts)
Under the supervision of the Director and Clinical Operations Manager, will perform the primary function of a Registered Nurse (RN) in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of patients in the Advanced Wound Care Center. He or she is responsible for meeting the established Center Standards of Nursing Practice in the management of all assigned patients. Assists physicians with the development and implementation of wound treatment plans and participates in performance improvement review activities. She or he acts within the guidelines of federal and state laws, DNV Standards and professional and ethical practice.
Also, administers hyperbaric oxygen therapy and diagnostics testing to patients under the supervision of a hyperbaric patient physician, applicable when complete HBO certification training.
Other duties, as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The staff RN/Case Manager will be able to demonstrate the following essential competencies, duties, and responsibilities as a result of education, experience and AWCC initial orientation and ongoing corporate learning.
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected
Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to dealing appropriately and fairly with employee misconduct.
- Enforces all compliance policies as they pertain to his/her area.
- Provides and assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Initiate a nursing assessment of patients condition upon admission.
- Organize assessment data for accuracy, completeness, and confidentiality.
- Asses and interpret reports and communicates findings with the assigned physician.
- Recognize and assess initial alterations in the patients body systems and record assessment data in an orderly fashion and communicate, revise and verbalize pertinent information to other health care team members.
- Assess, stage, and measure wounds accurately and in accordance with guidelines.
- Photograph wounds according to guidelines.
- Complete in a timely and accurate manner all admission nursing chart forms.
- Assess compliance to the clinical pathway and be instrumental in bringing to the attention of the physician or health care team missing components.
- Identify patients care situations that require intervention, implement nursing actions, and evaluate responses.
- Identify patient and family education and discharges needs to implement and document a teaching plan of care.
- Assist/collaborates with caregivers for patients skin problems such as draining wounds, fistulas, pressure ulcer, incontinence care, etc.
- Selects and recommends ostomy or wound management system products and equipment to patients family and organization.
- Document a plan of care accurately for all assigned patients.
- Follow-up with patients who miss an appointment to reschedule.
- Identify the patients present and potential problems from assessment.
- Determine patients health status and incorporate into the plan of care.
- Collaborate and assess with physician to develop a plan of care for patient based on assessment and be instrumental in initiating changes as necessary.
- Develop and implement a teaching plan mutually agreed upon by the patient, family (when appropriate) and the nurse and initiate changes as necessary.
- Formulate desired outcomes that are specific to patients identified issues and AWCC guidelines.
- Formulate desired outcomes that are specific and measurable within a certain time frame and consistent with other health providers exceptions.
- Identify home health care needs, evaluate support systems, and identify patients teaching needs from admission to discharge.
- Participate in implementing planned charges and activities to improve care.
- Promote harmonious staff relationships and favorable attitudes while maintaining accountability for delivery of quality nursing care.
- Implement wound care and HBO guidelines when clinically indicated.
- Individualize care according to age specific population.
- Assist physician with wound therapy and procedures.
- Complete new patient review form and participate in weekly meeting.
- Accurately complete the superbill and ensure that all orders and charges are initiated accurately.
- Coordinate activities with other disciplines, may include rehab, nutrition, diabetes education, home health, durable medical equipment (DME), nursing homes and other ancillary services.
- Evaluate achievement or lack of achievement desired outcomes.
- In collaboration with the physician other health care members, revise the plan of care and continuously reassess and evaluate until desired outcome is obtained.
- Participate in performance improvement/staff meetings.
Other duties as assigned.
HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTING:
The RN/Hyperbaric Technician will be able to demonstrate the following essential competencies, duties and responsibilities as a result of education, experience, AWCC initial orientation, and ongoing corporate learning.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the guidelines of hyperbaric medicine.
- Perform transcutaneous oxygen monitoring testing as ordered and per departmental guidelines.
- Ascertain that the patients diagnosis is one of the approved conditions for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, and that the said diagnosis is clearly entered on the patients charts/records.
- Implement the physicians orders as indicated by the patients treatment plan.
- Educate patient and/or patients family as to the benefits, risks, contraindications, and safety issues of hyperbaric oxygen therapy before treatment.
- Perform blood glucose monitoring as ordered and is indicated by patient diagnosis.
- Inspect the patient prior to the commencement of each Hyperbaric therapy session to ensure all safety standards are being adhered to, i.e. 100% cotton attire, no makeup, no hairspray, etc.
- Perform the hyperbaric treatments and monitor the patient during therapy.
- Perform dressing changes and/or wound care within scope of practice, as ordered.
- Take serial photographs of the wound for reporting the patients progress.
- Evaluate the patient outcome and meet with the Clinic Operations Manager/Director and the hyperbaric physician to discuss patient treatment and adjust treatment as ordered by physician and as necessary.
- Consult with hyperbaric physician regarding any adverse reactions.
- Document treatment notes and maintain patient treatment/diagnostic records.
- Complete the patients treatment charges, if required. Clean and maintain the equipment according to infection control standards.
- Maintain continuous performance improvement duties and charts audits.
- Answer telephone inquiries and schedule treatment times.
- Perform marketing duties as needed, intra-and interdepartmental.
- Perform an inventory check, maintain a record of supplies, and laundry items.
- Maintain equipment checks and backup air and oxygen supplies on daily basis.
- Perform data entry into the Wound information Data System and collect reports as requested by the Director.
- Orient new employees as necessary.
- Participate in new Patient Reviews to assess for HBO indicators.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 2 years medical-surgical experience. Wound care experience preferred.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Licensed in State of Texas as a Registered Nurse required.
- Preferred certification in wound care.